Enterovirus 71 (EV71), first isolated in California in 1969, is a member of human enterovirus species A, belongs to genus Enterovirus, family Picornaviridae. More
EV71 is a small non-enveloped virus that contains a positive-sense, single-stranded RNA molecule of approximately 7,400 nucleotides (nt) as its genome. More
The molecular genotyping and epidemiological surveillance of EV71 is conducted by detecting viral VP1. Up to now, three genotypes of EV71 are identified, including genotype A, B and C. More
Since the infection of EV71 primarily affects countries in the Asia-Pacific region, there is little incentive for vaccine companies from developed countries to develop EV71 vaccines, and mainly the companies and institutes in Asia make efforts to take the vaccines from research to product launch. More
Fig 1. Crystal structure of human Enterovirus 71 particle
First, it is a good way to prevent EV71 infection by blocking its entry. Since the VP1 protein contains most of the neutralizing epitopes and acts as a major receptor-binding protein, it is an ideal antiviral target against EV71. More
1. Yang F, et al. (2009) Enterovirus 71 outbreak in the People's Republic of China in 2008. J Clin Microbiol. 47(7):2351-2.
2. Chong P, et al. (2012) Production of EV71 vaccine candidates. Hum Vaccin Immunother. 8(12).
3. Kuo RL, et al. (2013) Strategies to develop antivirals against enterovirus 71. Virol J. 10:28.
4. Lee MS, et al. (2012) Challenges to licensure of enterovirus 71 vaccines. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 6(8):e1737.
5. Plevka P, et al. (2012) Crystal structure of human enterovirus 71. Science. 336(6086):1274.
6. Lin JY, et al. (2009) hnRNP A1 interacts with the 5' untranslated regions of enterovirus 71 and Sindbis virus RNA and is required for viral replication. J Virol. 83(12):6106-14.
7. Shih SR, et al. (2011) Host factors in enterovirus 71 replication. J Virol. 85(19):9658-66.
What is Enterovirus 71 (EV71)
Biological Characteristics of Enterovirus 71 (EV71)
Genetic Variations of Enterovirus 71 (EV71)
Clinical Development of Enterovirus 71 (EV71)
Potential Drug Targets of Enterovirus 71 (EV71)
EBOV (Ebola Virus)
HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus)
HCoV (Human Coronavirus)
RSV (Human Respiratory Syncytial Virus)
HCV (Hepatitis C virus)
HPV (Human Paillomavirus)
HCMV (Human Cytomegalovirus)
EV 71 (Human Enterovirus 71)
SUDV (Sundan Ebolavirus)
DENV (Dengue virus )
HeV (Hendra virus )
LASV (Lassa virus)
NiV (Nipah virus)
RVFV (Rift Valley fever virus)
WNV (West Nile Virus
PRRSV (Porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus)
SFTSV (Severe fever with thrombocytopenia syndrome bunyavirus )